Australia’s health sector is our largest employer. Australian Bureau of Statistics data suggests the Health and Social Assistance sector (which includes child care) employs as many as 1.5 million Australians.
The industry is growing both domestically and globally. This will continue as Australia’s population grows and ages actively, and as clinical interventions and technology advances. This growth provides an opportunity to ensure that efforts to achieve gender equality are ‘hardwired’ into industry expansion.
Although the sector is female dominated, many of the high-pay professions (such as dentistry and medical practitioners) are male dominated, while lower paid roles including in nursing and midwifery have as much as 89% female dominance.
Unless we disrupt the status quo to significantly increase the representation of women in high-pay high-growth areas of the health sector, our nation will not fulfil its full innovation and growth potential.
The group is convened by Professor Christine Bennett AO.
For further information please contact the MCC Health Program Director Amanda Hede at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who are the Male Champions of Change?
- Adam Castricum – Executive Director and Immediate Past President of the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians
- Anthony Schembri AM – St. Vincents Health Australia
- Elizabeth Koff – Secretary, NSW Health
- Gavin Fox-Smith – Vice President, Education Solutions APAC, Johnson and Johnson
- Glenys Beauchamp – Secretary, Department of Health
- Glenn Keys AO – Co-Founder and Managing Director, Aspen Medical
- James Downie – CEO, Independent Hospital Pricing Authority
- Jim Birch AM – Chair of Board, Red Cross Blood Service
- Martin Bowles AO – National CEO, Calvary Health
- Shane Kelly – Group CEO, St John of God
- Tracy Smart AM – Surgeon General ADF/Commander Joint Health, Defence Joint Health Command
- Trevor Danos AM – Northern Sydney Local Health District Board
- Zena Burgess – CEO, Royal Australasian College of General Practitioners
- Convenor – Prof Christine Bennett AO – Dean, School of Medicine, The University of Notre Dame