Australia’s health sector is our largest employer. Australian Bureau of Statistics data suggests the Health and Social Assistance sector (which includes child care) employs as many as 1.5 million Australians.
The industry is growing both domestically and globally. This will continue as Australia’s population grows and ages actively, and as clinical interventions and technology advances. This growth provides an opportunity to ensure that efforts to achieve gender equality are ‘hardwired’ into industry expansion.
Although the sector is female dominated, many of the high-pay professions (such as dentistry and medical practitioners) are male dominated, while lower paid roles including in nursing and midwifery have as much as 89% female dominance.
Unless we disrupt the status quo to significantly increase the representation of women in high-pay high-growth areas of the health sector, our nation will not fulfil its full innovation and growth potential.
The group is convened by Professor Christine Bennett AO.
For further information please contact the MCC Health Program Director Amanda Hede at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who are the Male Champions of Change?
- Dr Adam Castricum – Executive Director and Immediate Past President of the Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians
- Anthony Schembri AM – CEO, St. Vincents Health Network Sydney
- Elizabeth Koff (Special Advisor) – Secretary, NSW Health
Gavin Fox-Smith – Chair, AND Health
- Glenys Beauchamp PSM (Special Advisor) – Secretary, Department of Health
- Glenn Keys AO – Co-Founder and Managing Director, Aspen Medical
- James Downie – CEO, Independent Hospital Pricing Authority
Jim Birch AM – Chair of Board, Australian Red Cross Lifeblood
- Martin Bowles AO and PSM – National CEO, Calvary Health
- Nadia Levin – CEO, Research Australia
- Peter McIntyre – CEO, Royal Australian College of Physicians
- RADM Sarah Sharkey (Special Advisor) – Surgeon General ADF/Commander Joint Health, Defence Joint Health Command
- Dr Shane Kelly – Group CEO, St John of God Health Care
- Trevor Danos AM – Northern Sydney Local Health District Board
- Convenor – Prof Christine Bennett AO – Dean, School of Medicine, The University of Notre Dame