Male Champions of Change is a disruptive strategy to shift the systems that perpetuate and entrench inequality by redefining men’s role in taking action and supporting influential leaders to step up alongside women.
The Global Technology Group was established in 2018 by accelerateHER and the Male Champions of Change Institute to bring together like-minded leaders committed to change on gender equality within their organisations.
The Global Tech Group’s membership base highlights the diversity of the tech industry (from media and advertising to fintech and heavy industry), but also the common issues that unite the sector in its struggle to achieve diversity in its human capital – a key ingredient for innovation.
The Male Champions of Change strategy recognises that leaders hold the power to make change on gender equality and an engagement of both “head and heart” is required. They are stepping up beside women to address inequality and hold each other accountable for achieving results.
Male Champions of Change are visible in their organisations and “listen, learn and lead through action”.
If you interested in learning more about the Global Tech Group or how you can take practical action, fill out this form here.
The Inaugural Meeting
The Global Tech Group held its inaugural meeting in January 2019 in Davos, Switzerland where they finalised their shared strategy, charter and actions. This was the first in-person meeting of the Group following an initial period of data gathering and ‘listening and learning’ sessions within member organisations. The Group is chaired by Male Champions of Change Founder Elizabeth Broderick, and are focused on three action areas for 2019 – normalising flexible work across the industry, building strong pipelines of women and looking at how women are promoted, developed and retained, and addressing “Bro Code” culture. The group aims to drive change on gender equality globally in the technology industry
See the Group’s open letter to every male leader in the tech sector published in the Financial Times.
- Bob van Dijk – CEO, Prosus Group
- Brent Hoberman CBE – Chairman & Co-Founder, Founders Factory/first minute capital/Founders Forum
- Damian Bradfield – CEO and Founding Shareholder, WeTransfer
- David Jones – Founder & CEO, You & Mr Jones and One Young World
- Federico Marchetti – Founder & CEO, YOOX Net-A-Porter Group
- Dr. Lars Buttler – Co-founder and CEO, AI Foundation
- Mark Read – CEO, WPP
- Nancy Dubuc (Special Advisor) – CEO, VICE Media Group
- Nagraj Kashyap – Global Head, M12 and Corporate Vice President, Microsoft
- Philippe Chainieux – CEO, Made.com
- Dr. Rahmyn Kress – Special Advisor Entrepreneurship, & Founder, TheBeautifulMinds
- Roger Lynch – CEO, Condé Nast International
- Steve Demetriou – Chair & CEO, Jacobs
- Lord Tony Hall CBE – Director General, BBC
Take Practical Action
Male Champions of Change identify and share practical actions that leaders can take to increase the representation of women in leadership and advance gender equality. We invite you to review these initial resources to learn more about how the Male Champions of Change strategy can be applied.
- Avoiding the merit trap
- Targets with Teeth
- All Roles Flex
- Expansive Return To Work
- Commit to the Panel Pledge
- Take Action on Domestic and Family Violence
- Close The Gender Pay Gap
- Eliminate Everyday Sexism
- Test the Messages You Project
- A Gender Equal Future of Work
The Global Technology Group Secretariat
accelerateHER and the Male Champions of Change Institute joined together to accelerate the advancement of gender equality in the technology industry. The Male Champions of Change Institute has an established track record of implementing this disruptive strategy within a number of male-dominated industries in Australia. accelerateHER’s network of technology founders, executives and investors provided an opportunity to tackle the systemic issues that plague the industry on a global scale. The International Telecommunication Union, a United Nations organisation and one of EQUALS’ co-founding institutions, welcomes the Male Champions of Change Group in Global Tech as a contribution to the leadership dimension of EQUALS. UN ITU is the UN’s specialized agency for information and communication technologies.